Thursday, March 5, 2009

at the start...

In the beginning there was much confusion and uncertainty...and it was slightly overwhelming.

I have finally realized I need to knuckle down and start thinking about the nitty-gritty details of this adventure. Passports, transportation, places, people...all the how tos and what tos and where tos and want tos. I think what keeps holding me back is: 1) it is all so overwhelmingly daunting! 2) I still feel like a have a ton of time to figure all this out. and 3) the whole idea behind this journey is the desire to be free - and this is a big sticking point for me. I want to cut ties with the life style I have currently been living and set out on the road for who know what at who knows where. I want to be a vagabond...a nomad...exploring the world without a timetable or plan. I want to hitchhike and depend on the kindness of others. I want to wake up somewhere and wonder what in the world could happen to me today. I want to experience the true freedom of wandering. And I hope that through this unanchored existence, I can absorb the life, the culture, the people around me...be engulfed in their lives and see the world through their eyes. I want to make meaningful connections with individuals from all walks of life, all over the world. I want to go to Indonesia, and Africa, and the Middle East in part because it is "unsafe". I want to push the boundaries and open other's eyes to the beauty of humankind and show everyone that we are all the same on some level. I want to let go of the luxuries I have grown up with so I can better appreciate what I have been given. I want to prove to the world that money does not make you happy...people, friendships, love, desires, dreams...these are what make life rich.

3 comments:

  1. Ah - it's a good thing English has borrowed the term "Wanderlust" from the Germans, because it fits your desire and is something I think you're not alone in at all.

    I'm looking forward to seeing how your trip progresses and am glad we'll have a little (cyber) connection to you while you wander the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful. Don't take anything or anyone for granted.

    I have a feeling that this will be a very eye opening experience for you. I hope nothing but the best for you on your journey and I hope you find what you are looking for.

    I hope we can listen to your stories over a cold beer when you get back.

    That being said, there are many people in these areas that won't want you there no matter how peaceful and open you are. Some of these people are capable of violence beyond your imagination and they won't think twice about hurting you. Don't let your guard down and stay alert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have an amazing journey, my sweet girl!
    xx

    ReplyDelete