Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wine & Music Festival in Kerrville

I am back in Austin after a wonderful 5 1/2 days at the Kerrville Wine & Music Festival. What an experience! It continues to amaze me how much fun, stress, emotional overload, amazing people, close friends and great music can be compressed into one festival. I worked my ass off and I played my heart out, and I loved every single minute of it. I met some amazing new friends and was able to reconnect with a ton of old ones. It is really quite difficult to try and record everything that happened, so I will give the highlights.

Wednesday afternoon Michael Adams and I headed West out of Austin - destination: Kerrville.

"Welcome Home"
One of my favorite things out at Quiet Valley Ranch is the feeling, and encouraged belief that the ranch is your home. Everywhere you go, from beginning to end, from close friends to utter strangers, you hear "Welcome Home". This greeting is usually accompanied by a wonderful, unrestricted, totally heartfelt hug. There is nothing like it.

"Thursday Afternoon River Trip”
After a long hard day of toiling in the sun and sweating my ass off trying to get the ranch ready for the festival a group of us headed down the road for a river trip. Layton, Michael and Raina hopped in a car, Steve and I hopped on his bike and we all set out for a little known spot in Center Point. This place was perfect: a wide, lazy section of the river with a rope swing and good paces to sit on the shore. We all had a blast and were able to cool off and reward ourselves for a hard days work.

“Campground Security"
This was my second fest ever and I was promoted to a Second for Campground Security. I am now equal to Mustang! Craziness. My first shift as a Second was absolutely wonderful. I had fun managing my crew, helped out a group of Kerr-virgins discover what fest is all about and how being on staff just makes it that much better, and still had the opportunities to interact with the festival goers and hang out in camps and make new friends. I love this place so much.

“Everything Else”
There were so many little, amazing moments during the fest that helped make it a special weekend. Running around transferring my stuff to Mustang's tent in camp Ohm Sweet Ohm when rain threatened, and then running around some more getting Michael's stuff into Cara's tent since he was on shift. Meeting Shamus and getting the chance to hang out and get to know him (plus the sweet bracelet he bought me hasn't left my wrist yet!). Drinking home-brewed sake with Secret Steve. Enjoying a refreshing cup of Snake Juice at Rebel Kitchen with Pops and Hillbilly, Scott and Mike, and many others. Staff party Sunday night and dancing until a dropped to the drum circle. There are so many more that should be included here, but I just don't have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment